Thursday 18 June 2015

Lovin' Lykavittos





You can’t say no to a 360 degree view of Athens and you definitely can’t be negative about going to watch a sunset! How about doing them both, kill two birds with one stone or should I say: two wolves with one stone.

Why wolves, you ask?! Well Lykavittos’ name originates from the Greek word ‘Lykos’ which means wolf. It is said that wolves used to inhabit the mountain hence the name. Another story of the glorious mountain which is mentioned in ancient Greek literature is that before building the Acropolis, Athena dropped the mountain by accident intending to build the Acropolis citadel there, although in the end she didn't.

For me Lykavittos is a landmark in my own neighbourhood, nevertheless a benchmark on the bucket lists of many tourists and visitors. Situated only a few blocks east of where I live, it’s a hell of a hike to get to the top, although it’s great exercise and absolutely worth it. Of course there’s an easier way to get to the tip, via the Lykavittos Funicular but why take the easy journeys in life? 

Once at the top of Lykavittos the view is breathtaking. The whole of Athens at your feet, looking to the north past Strefi hill, to the east Imittos is visible, the western suburbs of the city and to the south the golden shore stretching out from Piraeus to Glyfada with the azure blue see glittering under the Greek sun. Other precious views include the Acropolis looking anciently majestic, the time-worn columns in the temple of Zeus seemingly miniature from above, the vista of the Saronic Islands on a clear day and the innumerable buildings that clutter up the city scape.




























































~WANT TO SEE MORE? JUST SCROLL DOWN~







































Amongst all these thing Lykavittos also offers an open air concert theatre, the chapel of Saint George and two restaurants which serve refreshments, food and great service. My last visit consisted of an ice cold coffee and relaxation whilst watching the spectacular sunset which I didn't expect to be so glorious. I was so commonly used to the sunsets in Corfu* that I didn't realise that this one (and I hope many more) would be just as astounding.





~LOVING THE SUNSET~







Another thing I have to point out is that Lykavittos is additionally just as pretty at night. Athens lit up under the stars with the enchanting gleams of street and house lights. I would definitely recommend visiting during the day and in the evening, having done both I imagine they’ll be many more jaunts in the future, as I'm Lovin’ Lykavittos!!




*If you would like to see more photos of sunsets please check out my Corfu page.












~NIGHT TIME VIEWS~



No comments:

Post a Comment