Monday 6 July 2015

Magical Mikrolimano





Aaaaa Mikrolimano, translated into English as little harbour or port. It’s situated only a twenty minute metro train ride away from the hubbub of Athens city centre. It’s a perfect place to venture away from the crowds and enjoy a morning, an afternoon or an evening in a neighbourhood which really gives you the feeling you’re on a Greek Island rather than the mainland. This serene and magical district of Athens is one of my favourite places to go, mixing business with pleasure.


Mikrolimano on a cloudy day


I've seen Mikrolimano on a sunny day, a cloudy day, a rainy day and throughout all times during the day, and at night. I have to say it remains picturesque whenever I visit. Calm and peaceful (except for a few honking of horns now and again), by the azure sea, with views of many little fishing boats and large sailing yachts perfect to make you feel relaxed and chilled, forgetting about the problems in everyday life.


 
Heart shaped rock as seen from Istoploikos Cafe

There are various options of outings to discover in Mikrolimano. Amongst most popular things to do you could do is have a coffee by the harbour of Mikrolimano, which is popular with young Greeks. My favourite is the Istoploikos Café/Bar. Its design is set out like a large ship, with the harbour on one side and the Mediterranean Sea on the opposite. With many different types of restaurants in this area it’s more than likely you’ll find something to suit everyone. You could savour tastes of the Greek cuisine; they cater for all tastes whether the choice is seafood, meat and grill dishes, vegetarian dishes or just a quick snack. Something more serene in the area would be a trip to the beach of Votsalakia, about a twenty minute walk away, I haven’t been myself yet but who knows in the near future I might get to see this place. Alternative attractions which seem interesting to do are the Veakio Open Air Theatre, situated next to the Peace and Friendship Stadium, the Karaiskaki Stadium of the Greek team Olympiacos for all the football fans and Profit Ilias: which is the highest point in the area, also known as Kastella. From there you can see wonderful views of Mikrolimano and also the southern shore line of Athens. All these are within walking distance so it’s a great day out in the sunshine to explore a different perspective of what Athens has to offer other than the city scape and it’s ancient ruins.







Mikrolimano by night


So that’s my blog post for today, hope you enjoyed my alternative post. I feel that these days we really need to appreciate places and spaces around us, and share them with the outside world. It’s an opportunity to promote Greece the best I can (as you have probably realized throughout my blog) from my point of view despite what’s going on around me.























Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment