Tuesday 20 October 2015

On The Move



From being a small child moving houses wasn’t anything novel. I need more than two hands to count the amount of times I have moved and changed homes in my life up to now. My more recent and determined move was Corfu to Athens.

This move was more of a spur of the moment kind of decision, regarding my personal life and definitely my career. I felt as though I was cooped up like a chicken, not having a space to run. The island life of Corfu was slowly getting to me, bringing me down, I needed more! Don’t get me wrong I have lots of great memories of the isle, but life was getting boring. It was time for change! It was time to make a decision! It was time for the big city, the city of Athens, the heart of Greece and my next step along the cobblestone road of life.

Trading the greenest Greek isle with its gorgeous beaches for a concrete jungle, the laid back everyday ritual for the hustle and bustle, a seasonal summer island full of tourists I knew so well for a city I had never visited, my family and friends for an urban in which I knew no one, was it a bad decision? I certainly had my doubts about the direction I was taking but they’re long gone now, poooooffff, vanished!

The thing that helped me the most was the fact I was open to change. It was the change I needed to find myself. It was essential to open more doors in my life instead of finding locked ones. To go out and gain experiences in every factor of life somewhere other than the small community in which I lived, where everyone knew everyone and news/gossip travels faster than fire. In comparison the city life is vital to me now that I fully comprehend the numerous differences between then and now.

What didn’t help my situation was the fact that many people who told me I wouldn’t like it or that I’d return sooner rather than later. You will never fit in they told me, it’s hard to find a job they told me, you’ll never be able to tolerate the place after being in Corfu for so long, the list goes on. I was determined to prove them wrong, a characteristic we call pisma (πείσμα – stubbornness) in Greece. I have achieved this for my benefit only, I succeeded and I would like to say I am proud of this triumph.

I’ve lived here a year next month and I haven’t regretted it at all, life is made for change for those who are open to it. The city is at my feet, freedom to do whatever tickles my fancy; in general Athens has embraced and captivated me. Onwards and upwards as the saying goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment